Friday, March 18, 2011

Extraterrestrial Abductions Day

March 20th is apparently Extraterrestrial Abductions Day.  Really?  Do these nut jobs need yet another platform from which to advertise their already tenuous grip on reality?  Personally, if I was sticking by my story that I been taken up to the mother ship, I probably wouldn’t be going public with it.  I can’t imagine this ever ends well.  In fact, I rather suspect that a lot of these people go on to be the subject of nightly news segments featuring 500 cats and a copy of every newspaper since the Eisenhower administration. 
Then again, who am I to question?  If the memories, real or otherwise, of being abducted by aliens make people happy, far be it from me to disillusion them.  A better question is why a civilization technologically advanced enough to visit us from billions of light years away is so inordinately focused on extracting strategic information from the wrong end.  It’s just that no one really talks about the kind of alien abduction where the abductee is interviewed by a panel of dignitaries, given light refreshments and sent on their merry way.  Nope, all of these encounters pretty much run along the same rather distressing lines.
And now they have their own day.  I just don’t imagine there will be too many cards.

No comments:

Post a Comment